Directions on Remote Visits at Correctional Institutions of the Ministry of Justice
- Publication Date ：
- Last updated：2022-06-08
- View count：587
1. These Key Points have been specially established to allow the spouse, family members, public, and volunteer defense attorneys of inmates kept in the prisons, skill training institutions, juvenile reform schools, juvenile correction schools, detention centers, and juvenile detention houses (hereinafter referred to as correctional institutions for inmates) that are equipped with remote visit facilities to conveniently apply for remote visits to organizations equipped with remote visit facilities (hereinafter referred to as organizations that accept applications for remote visits in proximity).
2. The spouse, lineal relative by blood, collateral relative by blood within the third degree of relationship, and relative by marriage within second degree of relationship of the inmates may apply for remote visits by sending proof of relationship via registered mail or faxing to the correctional institution where the inmate is being kept.
The inmates may receive one 30-minute remote visit per week upon application filed by the spouse or relatives mentioned in above. However, organizations can make exceptions if the supervisors of such organizations make prior approval.
In addition to the proviso of Article 34 of Code of Criminal Procedure, the public or voluntary defense attorney may apply for remote visits as so required by the situation of a case, where the judge or prosecutor may impose a limit on the boundary of visits according to the specific case. Point 3 of these Key Points is not applicable for such application.
3. Inmates that are prohibited from visitors or communication by the prosecutor or judge or under review probation may not receive remote visits.
4. Individuals applying for a first remote visit shall first fill out an application form (see Attachment 1), and mail it via registered mail or fax to the correctional institution where the inmate is being kept one week prior to the most preferred time. After the approval of the application, the applicant will be notified by phone or letter about the arranged time and date of visit and the nearby organization for the remote visit shall also be informed.
Those who have once been approved for remote visits by the correctional institution where the previously visited inmate is kept may have the priority to apply to the correctional institution where the previously visited inmate is kept directly by phone one week earlier to the most preferred time.
5. In the event an inmate is not available for remote visits due to violation or other matters, the correctional institution that holds the inmate shall notify the applicant via mail or telephone that the remote visit has been canceled. The nearby undertaking organization of the visit shall also be notified.
6. Once the application for remote visit is approved, the applicant shall visit the nearby undertaking organization in person at the assigned date and time to fill in the remote visit registration form (see Attachment 2) for the remote visit. Applicants who fail the registration requirements at the nearby remote visit undertaking organization three times will be suspended for remote visits for three months by the correctional institution that holds the inmate.
7. Nearby remote visit undertaking organization may reject the remote visit if one of the following happens to those applicants whose applications have been approved by the correctional institution that holds the inmate:
(I) Those who do not bring their proof of identification.
(II) Those with suspicious behavior.
(III) Those who are drunk or their mental status is not normal.
Those who do not complete the registration shall not substitute for or accompany the registered visitor to meet the inmate.
8. If the applicant of a remote visit is the inmate’s spouse or family member who are the elderly, sick, or physically or mentally challenged as described in the first paragraph of Point 2, the nearby undertaking organization shall send personnel for assistance.
9. During the remote visit, the correctional institution that holds the inmate shall assign dedicated personnel to monitor the conversation, make audio and video recordings, produce a conversation record, and send the same to the organization’s supervisor for review.
10. Any other matters that are not regulated in these Key Points during the remote visit will be subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Taiwan Tainan Prison Remote Visit No. 1, Wudong Village, Mingde New Village, Gueiren Township, Tainan County 71150 Inquiry Line for Remote Visit: (06) 2781803 Fax Line for Remote Visit: (06) 2783875