About the Prison
- Publication Data ：
- Last updated：2020-05-20
- Count Views：479
The Tainan Prison was established in 1894 on Sinsheng Street in Tainan City. It was called the “Tainan Penalty Institute” and was renamed the “Taiwan Third Prison” after the restoration of Taiwan in 1945. In 1947, the name of the prison was again changed to the “Taiwan Tainan Prison”. The aging buildings and facilities in the old Prison could no longer hold up with the needs, and its downtown location in Tainan City affected the implementation of correction and sentence execution on inmates. As a result, a private land lot of more than 30 acres in Wu Dong Village, Gueiren Township, Tainan County, was purchased for relocation in 1980. The construction of the new Prison was commenced in 1981 and completed on April 26, 1983.
The environment of the new Prison is elegant and the building is novel. It meets the needs of modern execution policy. The Agency of Corrections, Ministry of Justice was founded on January 1, 2011. The Prison changed its name to the “Tainan Prison, Agency of Corrections, Ministry of Justice” under the order.