Edification and Education Section
- Publication Date ：
- Last updated：2023-06-09
- View count：539
(I) Education for Inmates:
1. Secondary School and High School Education: There is 1 class in the secondary education department and 1 class in the high school education department in the Shu-Te Continuation School. We hire qualified and outstanding teachers from public schools in Tainan as concurrent teachers. The Continuation School began enrollment in 1984. There have been 33 classes of students to graduate by 2018. After graduation, the inmates may continue with further study with a diploma. Over the years, many inmates have taken the College Entrance Exam and were admitted into college. The results are quite fruitful.
2. Lectures From the National Open University: To realize the idea of lifelong learning, we cooperated with the Tainan Learning Center, National Open University in August, 2002. The “Gueiren Lecturing Site, Tainan Learning Center, National Open University” was established to give the inmates a chance to go to college. Currently inmates can choose subjects in the field of Social Science and Living Sciences. The inmates have to afford the tuition and miscellaneous fees on their own. The teaching methods include TV, radio, face-to-face teaching, and using books as materials.
3. Bachelor’s Degree Program in the Chang Jung Christian University: Starting from 2017, we have cooperated with the Chang Jung Christian University to set up the first bachelor program in management in the Prison. We further expanded the scope of enrollment to all prisoners in the correctional institutions in Taiwan in 2018. This serves the prisoners who are trying to make changes and enrich their knowledge as an opportunity to acquire professional and complete higher education while they are in jail. And with this education, they might be able to turn their lives around in the future.
(II) Parole for Inmates:
Parole encourages the inmates to revert to good behavior. It is important to maintain the order and stability in the prison. When an inmate’s progressive corrective treatment reaches level 2 and the inmate is qualified to apply for parole, the inmate may submit the application to the Parole Board Committee for review. The “Parole Board Committee” of the Prison has 8 non-ex officio members. They are experts from the fields of legislation, social study, probation, psychology, education, and criminology. Their diverse backgrounds allow them to perform diversified assessment to effectively improve the parole review quality. The average age of the Parole Board Committee members is 46. The percentage of female members is over 1/3, which meets the social trend of “gender mainstreaming”.
(III) Assistance and Guidance for Inmates:
The Prison exercises sectional discipline work. There are 10 discipline sections in total for the execution of assistance, guidance, and treatment for the inmates. The counsels are responsible for performing daily individual counseling, classified counseling, and collective counseling. With the resources from the society, we hire religious organizations and volunteer counsel as well as hold lectures and performance events to improve the effectiveness of education and reformation.
(IV) Promoting Art and Cultural Event of Education and Reformation:
We apply the art therapy principles to encourage the inmates to participate in all kinds of art and cultural events for the good of education and reformation. For example, we established a Chinese music class, lantern class, book club, writing class, painting class, calligraphy class, and choir. We hope the art and cultural events we hold can cultivate the inmates and help us to acquire the effect of education and reformation, so that the inmates can change for the better by osmosis. In addition, we perform religious counseling on a regular basis following the religion and will of the inmate. We hope the power of religion can foster the inmate to reflect on himself/herself and make them change.
(V) Promoting Character and Life Education for Inmates:
1. Considering the fact that most inmates have the wrong values and lack tolerance for frustration, we hold life education, value clarification, and other events for them. By doing so, we hope to foster the inmate’s capability to reflect on themselves for a change. With the faith to change into a better man, the inmate can have a more active and positive personality and core values.
2. We established the “meditation class, faith, hope, and love class and peace and joy class”. The Prison plans to have volunteers use the concept of “religious faith” to rebuild the mind of the inmate and cultivate them to have a kind attitude.
3. We invite scholars and experts to the Prison to give speeches on life education. In the speeches, they share their experiences and how to overcome the obstacles through cognitive and behavioral change. They encourage the inmates to face the change bravely and help them rebuild their confidence. This way, the inmates can get through the low points of life and have a greater future.
(VI) Implementation of the “Plan of Scientific Evidence-based Treatment Model For Drug Abusers”:
The treatment model of the drug rehabilitation group is an integration of professional group counseling, case management, and social resources. The group complies with the “Plan of Scientific Evidence-based Treatment Model For Drug Abusers” to establish seven aspects as the main axes and 18 course topics as the branches. The Prison promotes the business of the drug rehabilitation group through “group counseling”, “big group lecturing”, “individual counseling”, “keynote speech”, and “after-class discussion and case study”. We integrate the healthcare resources, labor resources, social resources, and resources from the after-care associations to strengthen the evaluation and follow-up guidance mechanisms after the class and treatment.
(VII) Establishing the Support of the Inmate’s Family and Society:
To strengthen the support of the inmate’s family, we comply with the “Promotion Plan of Family Support and Support for Family - Love Without Obstacles” established by the Agency of Corrections, Ministry of Justice. We integrate resources from the prosecutor office, probation officer office, after-care associations, and other social organizations in Tainan area. Moreover, we hold visitation events for the inmates in the hopes that with the encouragement and warmth from the family, they can be relieved from the emotion of missing their family. Furthermore, the inmates get to repair their relationship with their family, and that will serve as the power for the inmate to return to society in the future.
(VIII) Using the App LINE to Send Photos of Inmates and Family Members:
The Prison breaks traditions. We use the communicating app, LINE, to send photos of the inmates and their family members to the inmate’s families after the event. This gives the families access to download and save the photos immediately. The photos serve as media for the family to think about the inmates. This way, the love can expand on the cloud and the happiness will go on and on forever. The photos show the happy feeling of the reunion of the inmates and their family. These make them feel the warmth of the family again and cherish it.